Ready or not, Valentine’s Day is this Thursday. Whether Valentines Day fills you with visions of grandeur or a bad case of acid reflux, we want to help with the challenge. Romance is in the heart of the beholder and every beholder is unique. With that said, no matter what kind of woman you are lucky to have lassoed, there are still general do’s and don’ts for the female race. No worries gentlemen, we are here to help.
Confusing a gift for THE gift. Never serve a salad when she is expecting a juicy steak. These aren’t necessarily bad gifts, they just shouldn’t be the main gift.
- Mugs with witty or romantic sayings are cute but should be an extra alongside the main gift.
- Teddy bears. Tradition can be seen as romantic and old fashioned. If you can’t resist the cuddly goodness, just remember it isn’t the steak.
- A card that says all the right things. If this is all you get her, you’re in trouble.
- Matching t-shirts that express something about the two of you. Great idea; this falls more into the loaded baked potato category, but still not the meat.
Thinking the utensils are more important than the meal. Tools are important. Jobs need to get done, right? Be very careful when choosing a useful gift for your lady. She might misinterpret this to mean you think she doesn’t do enough or doesn’t do something to your standards. Save the useful gifts for “just because” days. Besides, the meal can still be eaten without the silverware.
- A kitchen gadget
- A beauty tool (hairdryer, flat iron, etc.)
- Electronics that you like
- A cookbook or self-help book; very dangerous
Where’s the Beef? (courtesy of the ’80s)
Your sweetheart is very unique, as you know oh so well! Instead of thinking about WHAT to get her, think about HER. What makes her shine on the inside? In guy terms, how does she like her steak cooked? Here’s a kickstart.
- What is one of her favorite things to do that she doesn’t get to do often?
- What has she expressed wanting to do yet finances, time or even courage has been a hindrance?
- What makes her do the “good cry.” In other words, what moves her?
- If you don’t know the answer to any of these, you need to give her the gift of undivided attention.
The secret’s in the sauce. Don’t worry, we won’t leave you hanging without something tangible. Here are some suggestions and helpful tips to dress up the steak. Keep HER in mind when considering the following!
- “Mix Tape” – The modern version. Create a playlist of great songs that you know she will love. Create it on iTunes and share it with her.
- “Handmade card” – Go to canva.com and create a card using their free software and images and add your special message. Remember, this alone won’t cut it, but it’s a good step above a store-bought card.
- Mixtiles: create a special photo display on tiles that require no hammer or nails. Pictures of the two of you are a must, but throw some of her and her BFF or sister in there for some brownie points.
- Time. Set aside a day or Valentines Day weekend to join her in doing all those things she loves and you hate. Do it with a good attitude and splurge a little. You just went from Al Bundy to Romeo.
- A day at the spa. Every girl loves a little TLC. Our staff at Escape Day Spa took the hard work out of this one. We prepared some packages for you to choose from. You can’t lose.
Guys, PLAN AHEAD! Don’t be Mr. Last Minute grabbing the cheap chocolates off the shelf that nobody else wanted and the leftover neon colored flowers. If you do this, the steak will be sent back to the kitchen.
Do Valentines right and a scrumptious dessert is sure to be on the menu.