Ok, so when I think of salt, I think of my grandmother who oversalted everything. Her food tasted like it had been soaking in the ocean for 24 hours and then hung on the clothesline to dry prior to cooking. I also think of dehydration and high blood pressure. But table salt is only one type of salt.
According to WideOpenEats.com, there are 12 types of salt. They vary in color and texture. If you have a lot of time on your hands and want to know what all you can accomplish with salt, click here. I promise you won’t be disappointed. I mean, did you know salt can revive overcooked coffee, prevent mold on cheese or remove perspiration stains? Neither did I.
What is Salt anyway?
What is salt exactly? SeaSalt.com says, “Salt is a chemical compound of a base and an acid and comes in many forms. The most well-known, of course, is salt: sodium chloride (NaCl). Different base/acid combinations make different types of salt: magnesium sulfate (epsom salt), sodium carbonate (baking soda), magnesium chloride (road deicer), sodium nitrate (smoke bombs, rocket propellant), potassium nitrate (gunpowder), and so on.
The sodium in salt is an essential dietary element for humans, animals and even some plants. Natural and unrefined sea salts and mineral salts (aka “rock salts”) also contain trace amounts of minerals like potassium, magnesium, calcium, sulfur, phosphorous, bromine, zinc and iron.”
Benefits of Salt Scrubs
So what makes Salt Scrubs so great? Sea salt does not go through the same manufacturing processes as table salt, the minerals from the sea remain, giving sea salts different colorings depending on where they are from. Many of these minerals also provide nutrients and benefits to the skin. Liiiiiiiiiike:
- Exfoliation. Sea salts exfoliate in two different ways. By slightly drying the outer layer of skin, sea salts encourage those dead skin cells responsible for old, tired-looking skin to flake off. The exfoliating properties of sea salts also encourage absorption of moisture through the skin barrier. This is one reason many professionally formulated sea salt treatments also include moisturizers..which leads us to our next point.
- Detoxification. Sea salt absorbs toxins from the skin. So, while you exfoliate, you’re also detoxifying. Very satisfying, gratifying and dead skin defying!
- Natural Antiseptic Properties. While not as powerful as an antibiotic, salt’s ability to absorb moisture has long made it a useful preservative and mild antiseptic. Salt’s ability to temporarily alkalinize the epidermis can inhibit bacterial growth which also helps fight pesky breakouts.
- Moisturizing. You can see a significant change in your skin from the blissful years of youth to now. Look at a child’s skin compared to yours. Jealous? As we age, our skin starts to lose its natural moisture. Essential minerals found in sea salt — magnesium, zinc, sodium, calcium and potassium, namely — play important roles in promoting the intercellular communication that skin needs to stay healthy. By increasing the levels of intercellular communication in our skin, we can jumpstart our cells into action and improve the skin’s overall quality and texture. Sea salt’s magnesium content also has a plumping effect on the skin because of its natural chemical ability to bind with water.
- Anti-Aging. By combining sea salt’s natural abilities to exfoliate and prevent bacterial growth with magnesium’s ability to stimulate intercellular communication, sea salt sets the stage for increased cell growth. And faster cell growth means slower aging.
Scrub knowledge into experience with our Rejuvenating Salt Glow. A blend of Epsom, Dead Sea and Himalayan Salts combined with various herbs, florals and aromatic essential oils and blended with warm oils rich in antioxidants, will gently exfoliate your skin’s exterior, allowing for cell regeneration and revealing your skin’s natural soft, smooth and silky glow. It’s your escape; you choose which salt you prefer during your Treatment.
Escape Day Spa Salt Scrubs
At Escape Day Spa, our scrubs are handcrafted! Made with a special blend of salts, essential oils and botanicals from the purest sources. We make sure our products are additive free and of the highest quality so you can relax and sink into one of the experiences below.
- Touch of Grey – Lavender oil and blend of salts
- Ramble on Rose – Rose essential oils and blend of salts
- Ripple – Peppermint oil and blend of salts
- Sunshine Day Dream – Rose petals and Orange oil with blend of salts
- Box of Rain – Customized Stress Relief blend with blend of salts
Sound luxurious and inviting? Book your Rejuvenating Salt Glow and begin your escape. Treat your grandmother to one too…we’re never too old to learn new things.